Thursday, November 5, 2009

How people define themselves

I love looking at the over genre of people's blogs, many of my friends define themselves by their motherhood, others define themselves by the degrees they have, are getting, where they go to school, their athletic accomplishments, etc. What I think is even more amazing is that some of my friends may let themselves be defined by something that the next person wouldn't think of. Some people have won many awards, but their definition of themselves may fall with their position at work; others have children but are defined by their art. Yet others have degrees but are defined by their art. Just an interesting observation. In case your wondering, I don't mean that being defined by something is to be limited by that same thing, I mean that it's what someone chooses to be their defining characteristic. Love you guys and gals!

2 comments:

  1. I meant some have degrees and yet choose to define themselves by their motherhood (as opposed to art a second time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just having a conversation with a friend about people defining themselves. He was of the opinion that people should NEVER be defined by their work (or school). I strongly disagreed and said, what if you want to be defined by that? So I think that while some people LET themselves be defined, others like the definition that, while somewhat conventional, they have also sought out. Just some thoughts. I'm sad you're not on facebook anymore.

    ReplyDelete